With its tasty rich broth, caramelized onions, and crispy stringy cheese, this easy-to-make Cheesy Baked French Onion Soup will have you coming back for more with its flavour bursting taste.
This recipe was actually put together by my late grandfather with some modifications of my own! He was a businessman, owning a restaurant with the tastiest fried chicken you’d ever eat! Whenever he was in the kitchen, I wasn’t far behind. From the secrets behind his famous turkey stuffing to his puddings with cooked dinner, I was always watching and learning.
This recipe came to light when I was craving French Onion Soup. I messaged my mom to see if she has my grandfather’s recipe and that’s when Cheesy Baked French Onion Soup came to life in my kitchen.
IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FRENCH ONION SOUP AND ONION SOUP
Yes, there is! French onion soup usually consists of dark broth, yellow onions, and cheese. While onion soup is made using stock or broth with a variety of onions.
WHAT ARE THE BEST ONIONS FOR BAKED FRENCH ONION SOUP
The best onions to use for Classic French Onion Soup are sweet yellow onions. They add the perfect flavor and texture combo.
WHAT IS THE BEST CHEESE FOR CHEESY BAKED FRENCH ONION SOUP
The best cheeses to use for Cheesy Baked French Onion Soup are either:
- Monterey Jack
- Parmesan Cheese
For this French onion soup recipe, I used a combination of parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
CAN YOU FREEZE BAKED FRENCH ONION SOUP
Yes, you sure can! I recommend freezing the French Onion Soup portions without the cheese and adding that when you reheat the soup.
HOW TO CUT ONIONS FOR FRENCH ONION SOUP
You want to make sure not to cut the onions too thick or too small, somewhere in between. About 1/4 inch thick.
WHAT GOES IN CHEESY BAKED FRENCH ONION SOUP
For this Cheesy Baked French Onion Soup recipe you will need:
- 4 sweet yellow onions
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tin consume soup
- 1.5 tins of water
- 1 package of onion soup mix
- 4 slices of garlic bread or baguette, optional
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- Black pepper and sea salt to taste
- 4 sprigs of fresh parsley for garnish
HOW TO MAKE CLASSIC FRENCH ONION SOUP
- Prepare onions by slicing them, peeling, and discarding skin. Cut onions in half, like a half-moon. Slice the half-moon lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips.
- Using a medium-size saucepan (pot) melt the butter and add in your sliced onions, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cover. Stir occasionally until onions are sautéed, nice and tender for about 10 minutes.
- Add consume, water and onion soup mix to the onions and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiled remove from heat and add to four, oven-safe French onion soup serving dishes, evenly.
- I like to use a ladle, as well as, a slotted spoon, so I can make sure the onion and the liquid get evenly put into each dish.
- Top each dish with a piece of baguette or garlic toast, optional.
- Top each dish with Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese, dividing the cheese mixture into the four dishes.
- Set oven to broil and broth for 2-4 minutes.
PS. I’ve quick linked more recipes for you below:
PPS. You can find our two recipe eBooks linked below: