A tasty, hearty soup recipe that is the perfect comfort food meal. This slow cooker cabbage roll soup is made using ground beef, beef broth, tomato soup, canned tomatoes, rice and some other spices for maximum flavour with every bite.
We are currently in a cold snap, meaning getting outside is tough, even to go to the grocery store. This is when I crave comfort food the most. This is when I want all the soups, stew, pasta and pizza… all those warm comforting foods!
Also, a pregnancy craving has been cabbage rolls, and that is a recipe I will never beat because my mom makes the BEST cabbage rolls. So I decided to make slow cooker cabbage roll soup.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more found under FAQ
HOW TO MAKE SLOW COOKER CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
Like most recipes around here, I am all about simple and easy! All you will need to put together this slow cooker cabbage roll soup together is an all-in-one crock-pot. Don’t worry, if you don’t have an all-in-one, you can use a large skillet. But, make sure it is a large one, read more to find out why.
- Using the brown/sauté setting on your all-in-one crock-pot, pre-heat with some extra virgin olive oil.
- Finely chop your cabbage, remove root/steam, I also remove some of the “core” of the root as well.
- Once the crock-pot is heated, add in your garlic and onion, sautee for 1-2 minutes. Add in your beef, Worcestershire, salt and pepper and cook until almost cooked through.
- Add your chopped cabbage to your almost cooked meat and continue to saute for about another 7 minutes until the cabbage is tender and starting to brown.
- Turn crock-pot to high, set timer for 5 hours. Add in all remaining ingredients, stir everything together, cover and let the slow cooker do the rest.
WHAT GOES IN UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
The main ingredient in this cabbage roll soup is of course the cabbage and the beef. However, there are a few more ingredients that go into this recipe to make it burst with flavour.
- Ground Beef
- Beef Broth
- Uncooked Rice
- Salt and Pepper
- Brown Sugar
- Minced Garlic
- Coarsely Chopped Cabbage
- Canned Tomato Soup
- Diced Tomato
- Dried Parsley
HOW TO STORE CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
Like most soups/stews this recipe can be stored three ways. You can use the canning method, freezer it or refrigerate it.
- Wash and prepare three small mason jars. Preheat oven 250F and place the glass jar, not the lid, in the oven for 10 minutes to hear up. Fill each mason jar to almost full with hot soup and place the lid on tightly.
- After about an hour you will hear a popping noise that is the lid sealing to the jar.
- Let the jarred jam sit for 4-5 hours or overnight to allow bottles to self-seal.
- Simply take some freezer-safe Zip-loc bags and add the cooled cabbage roll soup 3/4 way full.
- ensure a tight seal and lay flat on the freezer. *Laying them flat will make it easier to thaw*
- You can refrigerate this slow cooker soup for up to three days.
LOW CARB OR KETO SLOW COOKER CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
If you want to keep this slow cooker cabbage roll soup low-carb/keto friendly, omit the rice, you won’t even miss it! I actually prefer to make it without the rice and then once I am ready to serve it, if I want rice, serve the soup over a bead of freshly cooked white rice.
CABBAGE ROLL SOUP TIPS
Here are a few tips for this unstuffed cabbage roll soup recipe:
- Make sure you sauté the cabbage. This will bring out the flavour of the cabbage, but also add some great texture and flavour to it.
- Make sure you use beef broth and not chicken broth for optimal flavour.
- Don’t skip on the brown sugar it brings richness to the dish.
- When serving this dish top with black pepper and fresh parsley for garnish.
PS. If you are looking for some other great dishes to try, check out these other recipes:
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Homemade Meatballs
- Mac and Cheese
- Baked Spring Rolls
- Tomato Bisque Soup
- Southern Homemade Chili
- Chicken Noodle Soup
PPS. If you are looking for some family-friendly meal ideas, check out our eBook’s:
- 1lb Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 900 mL Beef Broth
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup uncooked rice (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 tsp EVOO
- 4 cups Coarsely Chopped Cabbage
- 1 284 mL Canned Tomato Soup
- 1 796 mL Diced Tomato
- 1/2 tbsp Dried Parsley
- Using the brown/sauté setting on your all-in-one crock-pot or a large skillet, pre-heat with some extra virgin olive oil.
2. Finely chop your cabbage, remove root/steam, I also remove some of the middle of the root as well.
3. Once the crock-pot is heated, add in your garlic and onion, sautee for 1-2 minutes. Add in your beef, Worcestershire, salt and pepper and cook until almost cooked through.
4. Add your chopped cabbage to your almost cooked meat and continue to saute for about another 7 minutes until the cabbage is tender and starting to brown.
5. Turn the crock-pot on high, set the timer for 5 hours. Add in all remaining ingredients, stir everything together, cover and let the slow cooker do the rest.