When you combine your favourite jarred pasta sauces with some added spices and meat, it’s a dish you can’t turn down, spaghetti sauce. Layer with some noodles or zoodles, and dinner is served.
I am loving my crockpot these days. I mean, nothing beats coming home to a home-cooked meal completely ready or just about ready. And the smell when you open the door, that’s one of my favourites about the crockpot. Especially the smell of this yummy spaghetti sauce!
My sense of smell is on high alert these days, haha!
This recipe requires a little prep before going into the crock-pot. You can also make this dish on the stovetop. You’ll want to cook your meat ahead of time before adding the tomato sauces. The slow cooker is used for simmering in this recipe.
Here is my quick and easy spaghetti sauce recipe! I also like to buy pasta sauces that already have spices in them like, basil, when I am trying to save time and take the easy way out.
You are probably thinking… “I already make spaghetti using pre-made jarred sauce”. I do sometimes too! But, there is something about adding these few extra ingredients like red pepper flakes and brown sugar that make it taste THAT much better.
I like to cook the meat the night before to allow it to cool before I add it to my crock-pot. I prepare this recipe the night before and within five minutes the next
PS. This recipe is great served with this Zoodle recipe if you are keeping it low carb. If you are looking for leftover options with the sauce, take your leftover noodles and make a spaghetti bake with them.
PPS. Check out these recipes:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey.
- 1 1/2 cups of finely chopped vegetables of choice (spinach, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, etc.)
- 1 796 mL can of diced tomatoes in Italian spices
- 2 jars (650 mL) of sweet basil marinara sauce (or preferred red pasta sauce)
- 1 156 mL can of tomato paste
- 2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- black pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- Sautee onion and garlic in oil until the onions begin to carmelize. About 4 minutes.
- Add your meat, stirring occasionally, and break it apart as it cooks. Cook until juices run clear and meat is cooked through.
- Once the meat is cooked add in fresh vegetables, and simmer for 2-3 minutes, until vegetables become tender.
- Prepare canned and jarred goods by removing the lids.
- Add pasta sauces, pasta, brown sugar, and remaining seasonings.
- Simmer on low for 2 hours on the stovetop, stirring occasionally.
- Using a crockpot cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve with your favorite pasta, zoodles, or spaghetti squash.