Substituting noodles is easy with this tasty, low carb zoodle recipe. Keto friendly.
I am loving zucchini these days. Like I could eat this zucchini pasta every day, no joke.
How many of you have tried zoodles? I am loving this veggie pasta substitute. This recipe makes a great side dish or a main dish served with this pasta sauce recipe, and voila dinner is served.
WHAT ARE ZOODLES
Zoodles are made from zucchini. They are made using a vegetable spiralizer. They are low carb and make for a great side dish or main dish.
I bought a cheap “veggetti” spiral at the dollar store, that totally does the trick.
HOW TO MAKE ZUCCHINI NOODLES
Preparing zucchini to make noodles.
Making zucchini noodles is very easy. You do not need to peel the zucchini, just simply rinse and dry, spiral and cook.
I am all about saving time these days as I prepare for motherhood and I’ve been looking into and testing recipes that I can make quick, easy to freeze and meal plan approved!
You can also prepare this recipe and freeze them in portions, which makes for great meal prep.
HOW TO COOK ZOODLES
Cooking zucchini noodles.
There are a few ways you can make zoodles. You can microwave them or you can fry them up in a frying pan. I prefer to dry them. Keep in mind that zoodles are made mostly of water, so when the zoodles cook they release the water contents from within, which can make your zoodles very watery or soft.
You can easily overcook them, making them really mushy. So if you like your pasta a little al dente, then I recommend you do the same with your zoodles for the best eating experience.
The trick is using just a little oil instead of water when sauteeing in the frying pan. Zucchini contains enough water to soften the texture on its own.
This recipe takes maximum 10 minutes including prep time.
PS. Here are some other recipes you might enjoy:
- 1 medium to large zucchini
- Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 - 1 tsp of flavoured or seasoned EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) or regular EVOO
- 1 tsp of Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning
- Heat EVOO in a medium skillet on low-medium heat.
- Rinse zucchini, cut off both ends, just at the tip, and spiral using a veggie spiral tool until you reach the end of the zucchini.
- Once the pan is heated, add zucchini, flip and toss (using tongs) occasionally for about 4-7 minutes, until zoodles reach desired tenderness (for more firm noodles cook 2-4 minutes).
Serve as a side dish or main dish by adding your favorite pasta sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 780mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g